Archive for September, 2011

Delphi XE2 - Bug Free?

Tuesday, September 6th, 2011

If you are using Delphi XE2, and have found a bug, you might be surprised to find there is no where to report it.  The Quality Central Windows Client doesn’t list XE2 as a selectable version.  I noticed this the day XE2 was released, but thought it would be corrected shortly.  Apparently, EMB is very confident that such a major release has no issues, or they have overlooked QC updates in their release process.

Also interestingly enough, XE Update 1 (v15.1) is in the list even though I am running 15.0 and checking for updates reports ‘No updates available’.  I assume an update to XE will soon be released.

hcOPF and XE2 Unit Scope Names

Thursday, September 1st, 2011

I just installed the newly released XE2 and attempted to compile my current client’s project in the new IDE so I could start using it on a daily basis.

One of the first things I needed to do was compile hcOPF for XE2.  I expected not to have any issues since I am currently using hcOPF with Delphi XE.  Much to my surprise, the compiler kept complaining that it could not find Windows.dcu - an odd error considering Delphi has been a Windows development tool for over 15 years but understandable once you know that Unit Scope Names were introduced in this release to accommodate X platform development and units were reorganized.

Unfortunately, unit names in Uses clauses have to be fully qualified (winapi.Windows in this case) and this means using a whole bunch of {$ifdefs} for XE2 to provide fully qualified unit names.  It’s certainly an ugly solution, but I am happy to say that hcOPF now compiles under XE2 with the exception of the DevExpress package which must wait for a vendor code update.  The latest changes are in the SVN repo.